ODD IDLE

2002 Mitsubishi Galant

2002 Mitsubishi Galant 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant that is having some odd issues:

While driving the car gets warmed up and running well. Once driving a few miles it will start to lunge slightly when the foot isn't on the gas. In other words, if I'm driving 45MPH and take my foot off the gas there will be a little lunge to deal with. If the car is in park or in neutral the engine will idle 1000-1500RPM higher than if it was in drive with my foot on the brake.

Other than that it drives fine. There are no other issues.
StLDad

Hi StLDad,

Thank you for the donation.

Here is a list of possible causes and what to do. Is the Check Engine Light indicating and was and trouble code retrieval performed? If not, get a free scan done at Autozone to see if any trouble codes are present.

ROUGH OR UNSTABLE IDLE

• If battery was recently disconnected, start and idle engine for 10 minutes, then recheck idle.
• If hunting, clean throttle body.
• Check Idle Air Control (IAC) motor.
• Check for vacuum leaks.
• Check PCV valve operation.
• Check for injector operation sound.
• Check fixed Speed Adjusting Screw (SAS).
• Using scan tool, check closed throttle position switch (if applicable), IAT sensor, BARO sensor, ECT sensor, EVAP purge solenoid, EGR solenoid, front and rear HO2Ss, power steering pressure switch, A/C switch, Park Neutral Position (PNP) switch and IAC motor position values.
• Check fuel pressure.
• Using scan tool, perform actuator tests for EGR solenoid and purge solenoid.
• Check ignition system.
• Check purge control system.
• Check compression pressure.
• Check for fuel contamination.
• Check coolant level