WINDSHIELD WASHER

2003 Mini Cooper S

2003 Mini Cooper S 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 66000 miles

When I pull the windshield washer wand to spray the windsheild, nothing happens. It doesn't activate the pump. But when I turn the wand to wash the rear window, the pump activates and it sprays the rear window. I switched the hoses at the pump and it will spray the front windsheild, so the hoses are not clogged. The problem is the front windshield spray position does not activate the washer pump. What is the problem and what do I have to check, and or replace?
Blutoaski

Since you know which motor is for the front window, use a test light to see if any power is present at the front washer motor when it is supposed to be on. If so the motor may be burned up, if not we will have to trace down the problem. If you dont have a test light and the connectors are the same. Swap the plugs to see if the rear washer comes on when trying to turn on the front, if so you know that you are getting power, and the motor is bad

Jack42
There is only one washer pump that supplies the wash to the windshield and the rear window. When I PULL the wiper/washer wand down it is suppose to spray the windshield. That doesn't activate the pump. When I TURN the wand knob down it DOES activate the pump and sprays the read window. At the pump there is only two wires on the connection. There is 2 tubes, one going to the windshield and one going to the rear window. I switched the tubes and when I PULLED the washer wand(to activate the windshield spray) nothing came out, front or rear But when I TURNED the wand knob(to acti vate the rear window spray) it sprayed the windshield. So, I think we are looking for a switch, or connectiion, or inline fuse that is not allowing the electrical continuity when PULLING the washer wand(for the windshield) to activate the pump. Where it is allowing the current to flow to the washer pump when I turn the knob for the rear window spray.
How and where do I check connectons and current flow or what do I replace?
Thank you
Blutoaki

Blutoaski
Looks like there is a front washer motor relay located on theleft side of the footwell.Try swapping it with another relay like the A/C to see if the washer will work.Looks like the relays for the front and rear relays are powerd from the same fuses, so they should be ok. The relay is K5

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_mini_1.jpg

Jack42
In the fuse box that is located on the driver's side footwell there is 3 relays, RL1 for the Gas, RL2 for the Air Conditioning, and RL3 for the Headlight washers. I did switch them around and found that nothing work differently.
I also checked the regular fuses F25(30a) Headlight washer, F23(20a) Windshield washer, and F17(15a) rear window wiper, they were all good, but I replaced them anyway.
In the Engine Compartment fuse box, I checked the Relays R5 Front windshield, and R7 Rear window, and fuse F9(20a) windshield wiper. All good.
The wiring diagram I have shows 2 other relays between the washer pump and the steering column wand(switch): A 'Front Washer Pump Relay' and a 'Rear Washer Pump Relay'. If you could tell me where those 2 relays are located, I could check those, and I think we will have checked the entire circuit.
Thank you,
Blutoaski

Blutoaski
The relays are located in thel eft side (drivers) footwell. Most likely behind the kick panel. The pic is small, but it shows the footwell and the relay (K5)

Jack42
Thank you, I found it. It was bad. Thanks again.

Blutoaski
Nice, glad to hear it. Thanks for using 2Carpros. Com

Jack42