OBD2 NOT CONNECTING TO TX STATE INSPECTION

1999 Mini Cooper

Computer problem
1999 Mini Cooper 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 22000 miles

I have a 1999 Rover Mini Cooper that is registered in the US as a 1999. Texas is the 3rd state of I have lived in with this car.3 yrs in Texas. My car has always passed inspection with a 2 speed idle test This year Williamson County says that if it does not hook up to the OBD2 then is will automatically fail. No more tailpipe tests allowed. Of course it doesnt hook up & they dont know what to do. They dont know how to make " it right". I am trying to get a waiver.I know that I could probably have " re-vinned" it but I wanted to do this the legal way. From what I can tell I probably have an OBD from the UK or Germany which followed no standards by any means until 2001.
Any ideas? Thoughts? Can I make it OBD2 compliant? Is there some argument that I can use so that I can just drive my mini?
My99mini

There is no reason a 1999 mini. From the UK or Germany should fail a test. It still should hook up to the emmisions testing machine. Check the DLC fuse?

Dave H
Yes. They checked it.

EOBD or OBD II?
On-Board Diagnostics, or OBD, was the name given to the early emission control and engine-management systems introduced in cars. There is no single OBD standard - each manufacturer often using quite different systems (even between individual car models).
OBD systems have been developed and enhanced, in line with United States government requirements, into the current OBD II standard.

The OBD II Federal requirements apply to cars SOLD IN THE United States from 1996. Mini Rovers were NEVER sold in the U.S. Therefore they were NEVER OBD2 compliant with the U.S.

EOBD is the European equivalent of the American OBD II standard, which applies to petrol cars sold in Europe from 2001 (and diesel cars 3 years later). My 1999 Mini Rover is probably NOT EOBD equivalent.
I also have tried calling Rover Dealerships here in the U.S. To see if they have an OBD reader for there different Rover cars. Of course most of them are very ignorant about the subject or refuse to believe that Rover ever made a mini & then when I show them they are just amazed (more like deer in headlights!) At the Rover parts that are all over my engine.
SO. OBDII tools will only work with 2001 and newer petrol cars in Europe, and not with all UK and European cars from 1996 onwards!

That is what I have learned. I finally had to apply for a 5,000 mile or less special wavier for one year for my inspection sticker. I have to call EPA to deal with them for the next year to get the waiver for life on my vehicle. OR I can move to another county that doesnt require emissions test or just the 2 speed idle which it will pass. Or " re-vin" it like other people do & make it totally illegal.
So I will try EPA first!

My99mini