MODELS ENGINE REPLACEMENT

2004 MG Other

2004 Other MG Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 30000 miles

I bought my MGZR 6 months ago and have just been told that it had a head gasket failure but will need an engine replacement. The replacement fortunatley is covered by warranty however only up to £1500. Surely they will replace with a reconditioned engine which I have heard failed all dynometer testing. What can I do as this car is on finance for another 3 and a half years and I fear that this is the start and not the end. To top it off the sales executive joked that they will replace it with a cheap engine from the scrapyard and pocket the cash. What can I do? Please help?
Dizzymisslizzy

The engine does not need replacing. The head gasket needs replacing. The cost of a gasket is around £10. The labour involved in changeing this gasket should be around 3/4 hours. So even the most expensive garage on the planet is not going to cost £1500 to repair this. Go back to the garage and explain you have had a quote from elsewhere for the repair at a cost on £400. Ask for a breakdown of their repair cost's and why it is costing so much ! This is a common fault on this vehicle !

Dave H