MODELS

2004 MG Other

2004 Other MG Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 108000 miles

Hello, I brought beautiful 04 plate MG ZT, 99.000 miles on clock. After approx 1000 miles trouble free drivinge, the car was admitted to local garage with loss of gears problem, the mechanic charged me  £350 for new clutch job, on collection steering allignment was off and the gear nob was on passenger seat so could not safely drive away, so had to return later that afternoon to finally collect. After 5 mins of driving the overheating light illuminated, the car was re-admitted to same garage and I was charged  £80 for a new sensor for thermostat. Within 10 minutes driving, approx 1 mile of collecting car for third time, the head gasket blows, I was charged a further 550 for new gasket job. Total time taken 3 weeks and 2 miles driving since initial clutch repair!
5 months, and 1500 miles later the engine head needs replacing again, and vehicle has further damage to the engine as result of gasket failure. HELP, what can I do? Where do I stand with regards previous mechanic repairs, he's trying to blame me now that further damage has been done to car as result of failed gasket that he supposidly fixed, plus charging me for a new gasket - surely this cannot be right? Any advise would be gratefully appreciated, thankyou.
Nigwills

Hi there,

I would like to know exactly what was done when the head was repaired, did you get a full report on work done?

Mhpautos
Thanks for replying to my post. Unfortunately I have no reports as yet. I have recipts for the work, and the engine stored in boxes. The car is now outside my house no nearer to completion. I understand that the pistons have been damaged due to overheating, and the bottom of the engine is also damaged.

Kind regards

Nigwills
Hi there,

Unfortunately this is going to a case of your word against his, you will have to prove that the engine failed due to the work that he did, or more to the point that the work he did failed to fix the original problem, these things can drag out, so you may be wanting to seek legal advice first before fronting the mechanic with any demands.

Mhpautos
I just think now, on reflection there was warning signs when took car to him for initial clutch replacement. My car returned in worse condition. Steering wheel offcentre, Gear Nob on the seat.
I shall seek legal advice, and get a report done, that shoud throw some light on the whole situation. Thank you for your help

Nigwills
OK,

Good luck with that, I hope that you get a favorable result.

Mark.

Mhpautos