NO SPARK!

1999 Mercury Villager

1999 Mercury Villager 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My car failed the emissions test due to the knock sensor. I replaced the knock sensor myself. Upon completion the car would not start. There is no spark at the distributor. I retraced my steps thinking I left something unplugged (other than the knock sensor there's another sensor above the crossover pipes) but they all are connected. I have done resistance and voltage tests on the distributor and the cable and all test within range. I get the battery voltage at the rotor which means the coil is not getting it's signal. At this point I was thinking the distributor just happened to die on me but find that hard to believe.

1. Am I missing something?
2. What do you suggest?
Robertcgs

Hi robertcgs, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Well thanks Raz, but as I indicated in my reply I have done those testing. I indicated what steps in testing I took. Do you have anything specific to my question that you could share with me?

Robertcgs
Check the available coil input power to the coil and also check the primary and secondary winding resistances of the coil and get back with the readings and also the distributor pick-up coil-hang in there this is gonna be a tough one might end up being the computer-what kind of reading do you have on the crankshaft position sensor-

Just to be clear, the coil is within the distributor on the 99 Villager.

Robertcgs
I'm aware of it-

Have you checked the primary and secondary windings on it-if not do so and get back with the readings if so give me the readings

Here are my readings: I logged into my AutoZone account and got screenshots and directions of how to test and what to test. I did all these tests twice previously but once more could not hurt.

Power transistor: 1999-00 3.3L Engines

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect the two-wire ignition coil harness connector from the distributor electrical connector.

3. Disconnect the six-wire distributor harness connector from the distributor.

4. Connect the digital ohmmeter leads to pin 2 of the six-pin distributor terminal, and to the green wire (pin 2) terminal of the two-wire distributor electrical connector. If the resistance is 0 ohms, replace the distributor. I measured infinity, or an open.

Ignition Coil: 1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Connect ohmmeter leads to pins 1 and 2 at the distributor electrical connector. The resistance should be 0.5-1 ohm. - I measured 0.9 ohms.

If it is within specifications, continue by testing the secondary winding resistance.
4. Remove the distributor cap and position it aside.
5. Connect ohmmeter leads to distributor electrical connector pin 1 and the coil tower metal tip on the distributor. The resistance should be approximately 12,000 (12k) ohms. If it is not, replace the distributor. I measured 10.9K ohms, not much different.

Resistor: I am not sure about the resistor. My data says.
" The resistor is located near the distributor connector on 3.3L engines. It has a two-wire connector and is taped to the harness.&Quot; Not clear to me but I have a print out of the 2 wire Ignition Coil connector and the resistor is inline on Pin 2. So I went to the female side of the coil harness connector and measured across pins 1 and 2. I received an open. There is something taped over on the cable - should I remove the tape to get to the resistor? I am not sure about where the resistor is. Is it in the distributor, if it is what does step 3 mean?

Robertcgs
The coil is okay-do this remove the coil wire on the distributor, ground the wire to the engine and crank engine over do you have spark if so check again at the plug wires end at the plugs -do you have it? Let me know

OK, I will be able to do this today, Wednesday 11/3/2010.

I disconnect the 2 wire coil connector and attach pin 2 (coil, resistor side) to engine ground? Just making sure I have it right.

Robertcgs
I disconnected the 2 wire connector and tried both sides to engine ground - no spark. What should I do now?

Robertcgs
I used the male end of this connector, the one from the distributor. Should I have used the female end?

Robertcgs