SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

1998 Mercury Villager

My villager has 97,500 miles, always had the maintenance done by the dealer. My service engine light came on. Dealer ran diagnostic tests P0302 found damaged hose from EBT solenoid to EGR valve was cracked. Oddly, they said this was not the proper hose; it should have been a hose that was heat resistant. I have never had my vehicle serviced anywhere but the dealer and no service required anyone to be in the area of the EGR and EBT solonoid. My question, did Ford/Mercury change this hose after the manufacturing of the 1998 or was there a recall on this item? Cost $146.

Update.I brought the van home Friday and by Monday the service engine light came back on after the hose was replaced. The dealer said they same diagnostic code is appearing P0302. I think they want to replace either the EBT solenoid or the EGR valve. I don't understand any of this. Why would it be the same code? Does that mean that the hose/tube assembly which was replaced didn't need to be replaced? Checking the diagnostic code on this website it states the code refers to a misfire in cylinder 2.

Another update. They replaced the BPT, per dealer performed " pinpoint test as per TSB 99-10-3, steps HE1-HE4, won't hold vacuum replaced BPT". Total cost $300. Got van back Tuesday. Wednesday morning drove 20 miles, and the service engine soon light was back on! The same code is coming up on diagnostics. : Roll:
Toddlermom01

Yes P0302 is a cylinder misfire on #2. Take it back and let them know that you have looked this code up online and ask why they are chasing an EGR problem for it

Jack42
What is involved in fixing the misfires on #2? How much do you think it will cost? And, should I demand a refund on the $450 spent so far for chasing the EGR problem?

Toddlermom01
Depends on what is wrong. If it has good compression then you are looking at either a ba coil, bad injector or wires.

Jack42
It turns out that there was a clog of fresh carbon in the EGR valve or intake manifold. This was a result of, I suppose, an oversight when the EBT was replaced. They had the van over the weekend, gave me a free loaner and didn't hand me a bill yesterday when I picked it up. They stated they drove it 125 city/highway miles.

Toddlermom01