OBD II CODE P1443

Mercury Tracer

I have 1997 Mercury Tracer LS with 123000 miles on it. Check engine light is on and getting code P1443. According to Advance Auto and Autozone it is " Evaporative emission control system control valve", what ever that means. The guy at Advance suggested changing the wiring harass, does this sound right? Needing to know what I need to do to get this problem fixed.
Earthgirl1975

P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault. Not sure where it is on your car, but the equiptment to test it is about 1300.00 U.S! They check these with a smoke pump to test for leaks in tha system. Most of these valves are on the firewall and have a vacuum hose attached. They also have what looks like a tire valve with a green cap. Will be cheaper to replace it than to test it! I think they are about 100.00 if you can find one.

Merlin2021
Your close, its evap control system purge valve malfunction, it means the purge valve is bad, you dont need a harness, thats funny, thats all you need, its on the drivers side of the engine compartment, I would send you a diagram but you wouldnt be able to see it

Jim

CHEVYII
Did this come on since you last filled your fuel tank?

No this code has been on for a while. Thanks for the info guys ill try that and see if it works for me.

Earthgirl1975
Called a Ford Dealership this morning and gave them the code. They said there was definitely a leak somewhere in the emissions system. Said a smoke test on emissons needed to be performed. And that it was probably the canister purge valve or the hose leading to the intake leaking. I'm having a place do the smoke test for $30 tomorrow. Then ill replace the part or parts that leak. Thanks so much for the help again, much appreciated.

Earthgirl1975
Great price on that test!

Merlin2021
No doubt that is super inexpensive we get 1.5 hrs for it 140 clams but that does include lemon or orange flavor

CHEVYII
Havent had the smoke test performed yet. My husband replaced hose going into intake today and another place leak was occurring. Waiting to see if service engine soon light comes back on. Had 2 major leaks where clamp wasnt holding near as good as it needed to be.

Earthgirl1975
My service engine soon light came on after I filled up. What's the problem?

Mitsh69
See if the cap is loose

CHEVYII