FUEL PUMP RELAY

1994 Mercury Tracer

1994 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Automatic 80000 miles

Hey, I began having troubles with the Tracer soon after I purchased it. Once in a while after an average right turn, the car would shut off or stall, similar to a failed fuel pump. It also would take a while for it to start after cranking for twenty minutes. Finally, the whatever died and now the car will turn over but not start.

After replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter, it still would crank but not start. There is no sound coming from the fuel pump, which leads me to think it HAS to be the relay. Now here's my question

Can I safely replace the fuel pump relay with my working AC Relay and just run the car from that?
Fruscianteisbog1

If the AC relay is compatible with the fuel pump relay go for it

Ok, no other relay is compatible with the fuel pump relay. Now I'm not so sure that it is broken, because after moving the key to the II position, the fuel pump relay does make a clicking sound and feeling under my fingers. Every relay does that, even the what I think is the EEC Relay next to the fuel pump one.

However, I am not hearing anything from the fuel pump.

So far, I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and relays seem to be working. Why isn't my engine getting fuel!

It'll just crank but no fire.

Fruscianteisbog1
Check and test the inertia fuel cut off switch

Already did.

Fruscianteisbog1
Still no fire.

Fruscianteisbog1
It'll just crank but no fire. Are you getting ignition spark? If so power the fuel pump direct from the battery and see what happens

Yeah I'm getting spark. How do I run the fuel pump directly through the battery?

Fruscianteisbog1