GOT MY HUSBAND STUMPED!

1991 Mercury Tracer

Noises problem
1991 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 193, 00 miles

Our car is REALLY old, but given that we cannot afford a new one, we have to fix the one we got. It makes a grinding noise, almost like something is winding down to a stop, when you shut off the ignition. It also makes this noise while driving, and it kind of sounds like a weak horn(but that's not what it is)noise. My husband is a mechanic and he is stumped and so am I. What could it possibly be?
Golfingdisaster

To better assist you, could you tell me where the noise is generally coming from? I.E. Under hood, under car, in dash. Etc.?

Does the noise continue the entire time the vehicle is started? Or only during acceleration?

Any change in power of the vehicle, gears shifting normal?

Water pumps making a pretty funky noise when they start to foul out. Try checking around your water pump and look for leaks of coolant and listen carefully to it to see if the noise is coming form there.

Bluelightnin6
No, we just replaced the water pump, the starter and sullenoid, and the head on the car. The noise is coming from under the hood in the engine itself somewhere. We were thinking maybe a pulley or something but it's got to be more than that. It's a manual trannie and it seems to be shifting fine. There is a power surge during idling but that's unrelated and we think we know what that is (we think lol). I don't know. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Golfingdisaster
Hm, it doesn't HAVE to be more than that, but without me actually being able to hear the noise it is harder for me to diagnose it. Perhaps a bearing is going bad in one of the belt driven components. Obviously it wouldn't be the water pump. (Noise was occuring BEFORE water pump replacement correct?)

Try sticking a hollow long stick (wooden broom handles work great) to each component where the belt is and listen for the noise through end of stick, careful not to touch the belt or any other moving components.

Bluelightnin6
No, the noise didn't start until after we had replaced the water pump. We replaced it in May, and this noise didn't start until the end of last month approximately. I mean it's one thing right after another with this car. It's a money pit really and I've told my husband that we've already spent more on parts to fix the car than we paid for the car itself. But when you have no other alternative, what can you do ya know? I'm just afraid if we don't get it fixed soon, it's going to cause other problems. It almost sounds like the fan scraping against something as it winds to a stop, but we've checked that already. I have no idea.

Golfingdisaster
I certainly understand, that is why we are here to try help and save you money.

The only suggestion I have for you right now is the previously posted one, which is to listen to each belt drive component with a mechanic stethoscope or a self made stethoscope (broom handle stick). For the trained ear (your husband) this can tell you wether the component has bearings failing, or gears or motor burning out. I will contact one of the other techs here and see what he thinks. Until then, if you can do your best to do the above stated, it would help me out on other suggestions.

Bluelightnin6
Okay, I sure will. It's a little cold outside right now and my husband has the car at work, but I will be sure and tell him to do it first thing tomorrow. I really appreciate all your help and advice--seriously! He's going to be really surprised when I offer these suggestions to him! (But I'll be sure to give youall the credit lol). Thanks again and I'll get back with you and let you know how that turned out.

Golfingdisaster
Okay, yes it is freezing here as well. Please post your results and I will follow up. I certainly hope I have helped. Thanks for using 2carpros. Com!

Bluelightnin6
Well, we checked and while the car was running, or I should say idling, it didn't make the noise. When I went for a quick trip to the store, both times I turned the ignition off, it did. Go figure. He says he still thinks it may be the fans, but I have serious doubts. It just doesn't make any sense.

Golfingdisaster