CAR SLOWED DOWN TO A FULL STOP DURING DRIVING

Mercury Topaz

94 Mercury Topaz, 115,000 miles, 4 cyl. A week ago, I had the catalytic converter replaced on car. Was driving it Tuesday (35 mph) and all of the sudden, the check engine light came on, and the car slowed down to a full stop during driving. I tried to restart the car, and the battery was fine, because I was getting lights, and it was trying to turn over, but wouldn't stay running. A man that had stopped to help suggested that it could be the fuel sensor or the exhaust backfiring (or something like that) into the catalytic converter. Anything sound familiar? What could be the problem and solution?
Jontswife

Why did you replace the converter? Did you check the codes and fix the probems before you put a new converter on it? If the new converter is clugged. It's back to square one! The other possibility is your muffler may have some of the old converter lodged in it. Get a rubber mallett and bang on the muffler and the new converter. See if anything rattles in there!

Merlin2021
We changed the catalytic converter because mechanic told us it had two holes in it (one in front, and one in back) and was making the loud sound that my Tempo did about 5 years ago when that happened to it also.

This time, mechanic looked at the fuel filter (by my request) and found it to be partially clogged. Changed that, and we've been driving it since with no problems yet. KNOCK ON WOOD!

Jontswife