SHIFTING

1997 Mercury Station Wagon

1997 Mercury Station Wagon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

When I shift into drive I usually have to wiggle the shifter to get it to engage. Sometimes if I push the shifter a little while in drive it will eventually engage. Why is this happening? It goes into the other gears without a problem.
Glenn hoffman

Hi glenn hoffman,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptoms seems to indicate either the shifter cable linkages are out of adjustment or worn.

Try adjusting the shifter to see if it helps.

SHIFT CABLE/LINKAGE
1. Position transmission shift lever in OVERDRIVE position. Hold shift lever against rear overdrive stop with a constant force of about 3 lbs. (1.4 kg). Loosen shift control cable retaining nut at transmission.

2. Ensure manual control lever is in OVERDRIVE position. OVERDRIVE is second detent from rear most position. Tighten shift control cable retaining nut to 13-17 ft. Lbs. (17-23 N.M).

3. Check PARK engagement. Start engine and ensure transmission shifts through all gears. Verify vehicle only starts in PARK and NEUTRAL and backup lights work. If not, check transmission range sensor adjustment.