AIR CONDITIONING GOES "COLD-HOT-

1998 Mercury Mystique

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Mercury Mystique 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My AC will not consistently stay cold, but it is capable of getting cold, just completely inconsistent. Some days it will never get cold at all. Other days it will be cold for 15 minutes, then go warm and never go back to cold again on that same drive.

There have also been times that it will go back and forth continously throughout a 30 minute drive. Stayin cold for 5 minutes, then going warm for 1 or 2 minutes, then back to cold. You get the idea.

The only thing I have done thus far is to charge the system, which did not seem to change anything, which may also mean that it didn't need charging.

Thanks for your input!
Ben Lee

Exactly how much refrigerant is in the system right now?
What are the high and low pressure readings at idle and at 2,000 RPMs?

Wrenchtech
I'll have to get back to you on that. I don't have the gauage for measuring that.

Ben Lee
Then how could you have charged the system? That requires knowing exactly how much refrigerant the system has and what the pressures are. Otherwise, your just doing a whole lot of damage.

Wrenchtech
Unfortunately I got some bad info and charged the system without knowing the pressure!

Ben Lee
Repairing an air conditioner requires a lot of knowledge and understanding of how the system works along with the proper equipment. It requires an exact amount of charge. This is really not a DIY type service because it has a high extreme potential for danger and damage to the system and I don't advise you to mess with it yourself.

I'm going to back out of this and let someone else take over.

Wrenchtech