DOOR LOCKS

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Interior problem
1997 Mercury Mountaineer V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

Both back passanger doors locks are jammed. I cannot open the doors and they do not have key entry. Any suggestions on how to unlock them? If I can unlock them, my hope is to disconnect the power lock and just lock and unlock mannually.
I saw on another posting the suggestion of using a slim jim to pop the lock. Where can I get one of those?

thanks
Art112597

I have the same problem with my 97 Mountaineer on the rear driver’s side door. I've noticed it gets jammed every time my 7 year old son tries to open the door without the door being unlocked.

The first time it happened I tore the door apart from inside the truck, a difficult feat since I had to remove the back seat to get into it. I was able to manually jiggle the link for the lock that combined with alternating the electric locks between locked and unlocked freed it up.

The second time it happened I got a little perturbed and started beating on the outside of the door on and just below the handle while I was alternating the power locks and low and behold it was enough to free the lock.

To this day I still use this method when the problem occurs and I still haven’t tried to find a permanent solution since I don’t drive this vehicle except for bad weather or utility purposes.

If you find out how to fix it please let me know.

Jmmilleritc