FLOOD GOT ME I THINK?

1997 Mercury Marquis

Noises problem
1997 Mercury Marquis V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

drove through some unavoidable standing water in a recent flood. Car was not submerged nor did it stall. But there is a whistling noise I cant get rid of I sprayed belt frip but did not work any ideas
Ewallace07

Hi there,

A whistle is more (excuse the pun) in tune with a vacuum leak, I would be checking this first.

Mhpautos
It becomes louder and more frequent as I accelerate, and I know whatever it maybe it is directly related to driving through standing rain water cold that be the vaccum leak?

Ewallace07
With a vacuum leak there will normally be some idle concerns, higher idle or a rough idle, have you checked all the belts for tension and condition? Belt grip is not a great idea as the muck is so stick, it will pick up road grit and damage belts, check for any loose or cracked vacuum hoses and check the belts, you can also remove the belts and run the engine, if the noise is gone, it will be belt related.

Mhpautos