NO TAIL LIGHTS

1992 Mercury Marquis

1992 Mercury Marquis V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic? Miles

My '92 Grand Marquis has no tail lights. Bulbs and fuses are good. Does not work with car on or off. Brake lights, headlights, and blinkers work fine. Any suggestions on what needs to be done or what else to check?
Clarbahl

Do you have auto-on headlights?

James W.
I have a pull switch and have auto lights. I forgot to mention that my dash lights quit working as well. About 2 weeks ago, I also had problems with my key and shifter. I would have to hold my key forward to shift out of park. When the problem disappeared, the dash lights quit working.

Clarbahl
" Auto on" will turn your headlights on when you start the car. &Quot; Auto Dim" will automatically dim the headlights for an oncoming car. Which do you have? They were both an option in '92.
The tail and dash lights are on the same fuse. Are you sure this fuse is good? Also, " key/shift and tail light problem are not related. Please advise.

James W.
I have auto-on, not auto-dim headlights. Rechecked all fuses under dash and under hood and everything is good. Bulbs are new. Still no tailights or dash lights. (Directional signals and brake lights work)

Clarbahl
My wiring diagrams for your '92 are not very clear. But, from what I can gather, I would change the headlight switch. It could be a cheap fix and it is the only place where the tail and dash lights come together.

James W.
The headlight switch was the fix. However, one of the connectors has been hot and had partially melted teh plastic. I saw this on the replacement switch as well (Auto dismantling yard part) so it must be a design flaw that shows up after several years.

Thanks!

Now I'm trying the same fix on my '90 Lincoln Town Car. After pulling a trailer that had a possible short in the wiring, I put in the only fuse I had on the interstate at night (30 amp instead of 20) and after about 50 miles, I smelled something electrical. Now my lights won't turn off unless I disconnect the back connector on my light switch. The tail lights and bright lights are not working.

Clarbahl
On your Town Car, if you lost headlights as well as tails, you probably blew a fusable link, if not the fuse. Fusalbe links will be by the starter solenoid.

James W.
The headlights will come on, they won't turn off. Also, the bright indicator on the dash stays on but I have no bright lights or tail lights. I had tail lights at one point, but they have quit working. All the fusable links are good. I have to pull the fusable link to shut the lights off. If I disconnect the back connector of the light switch, they don't come on automatically. Once I manually turn on the lights (pull out the knob), then they can be turned on & off; but I still have no tail lights.

I've purchased a used switch for $10 and will try that and let you know how it works.

Clarbahl
Just checking up. You need not respond unless there is a problem.

James W.