1996 Mercedes Benz SL500

Computer problem
1996 Mercedes Benz SL500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

The check engine light came on while driving today and so I came home and started Googling the subject. And I've found precious little concerning this model (or Mercedes in general) and whether it is OBD-II or OBD-I. I'm guessing it is OBD-II since it is a '96+ model, but does it use a proprietary adapter? I looked under dashboard near the hood-release lever and saw two thin wires one with a thin metal " male" type connector and the other with the " female" version of the same. Am I missing the actual socket that a scanner would plug into or is the port located somewhere else in the car? How can it be scanned/reset if it is missing this? Can I use the battery-disconnect method? I'm befuddled. : S

I have forwarded your link to our resident M/B expert. He should be with you shortly

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com

This is a tricky model year because if your vehicle is an early 96 release that was manufactured in 95 you may have ODB 1 diagnostics. Here is a way to check all possible connectors.
1. OBD 1 connectors are located in either the front drivers side of the engine bay under a round twist off cap or in the rear passanger engine compartment under a square cap (see picture I have drawn circle around each connector location) This style will require a MB handheld scanner to read the codes

Square Style Connector

Round Style Connector

2. Obd 2 connector is under the drivers side dash and will look like this (it is a female connector)

You can use a generic scanner on OBD 2 only connectors.