VALVE COVER GASKETS

2000 Mercedes Benz S500

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

I took my mercedes in for suspension problems, the dealer contacted me and said I need new valve cover gaskets and the cost willl be approx. $795. I feel that is too expensive and would like to know if it is?
Hagerh

Hagerh : Vavle cover gaskets are fairly common to leak on these but more importantly related to your question is why so much $$? Well on the engine in your car (113 engine), the actual " Vavle cover" has a seal that actually leaks. My bet is that your Valve covers are leaking and they are replacing the covers and gaskets. The best thing to do is call your dealership and ask exactly what they are replacing. $795 sounds about right to replace the " valve covers and gaskets", but not just the gaskets. There isnt a repair for the Vavle cover failure, they come sealed from the factory so if they leak you need to replace them whole. Good luck

Autoevolution