ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

2000 Mercedes Benz S430

2000 Mercedes Benz S430 V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

When we first started the car in the driveway the hazard lights were flashing and the button wasn't even pushed. The hazard lights would periodically turn on, on their own, while we were driving. When we got to the parking lot and attempted to lock the car we could not. We tried to manually push the locks down but they would pop back up. We tried using the button on the dash to lock the doors but when pushed, not only did it not lock/unlock the doors, it would cause the hazard lights to come on! We attempted to remove the casing and use the physical key to lock the car but that would not work either. After multiple attempts the bottom key finally worked. Again on the drive home the car hazard lights would come on periodically. I attempted to open my window and it started moving up and down on it's own and then required several attempts to get it to close again. When we arrived home it again wouldn't lock but we could hear the mechanism in the trunk trying to lock. We popped the trunk and then closed it again and then (possibly a coincidence) we were able to lock the car with the button on the key. What's happening?
Robertallen

You are experiencing a major control unit failure. The most likely control unit to do something like this is your rear SAM (signal acquisition module) most accessory systems go through this control unit and these are known to go out from time to time with similar results. This is not something you can change yourself as it must coded to the vehicle. Your dealer will be the only one capable of doing this.

Gfimotorcars
Thank you very much. How much do you think a new unit and labor will be?

Robertallen
Your looking around 1000-1200 for the SAM and about 3 for labor which will include replacement and coding.

Gfimotorcars