ENGINE OIL LEAK ( MERCEDES-BENZ C280) !

1996 Mercedes Benz Other

Hi there:
Iam buying a Used car (1996 MERCEDES-BENZ C280, 116,500 mi). When I took it to FireStone to do a " Vehicle Inspection", it came out that there is pretty bad oil leak from engine. They are NOT sure as to where exactly the leak is happening. Unfortunately, Firestone said they cannot run a complete diagnostics to find the exact leak.

I just want to know how serious the problem is and roughly how much will it take to fix it (ballpark figure $$). Accordingly I will decide to buy the vehicle or NOT.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
cyberjags.
Cyberjags

Major leaks are usually expensive, Would it be worth a diagnosis at the dealer?

Jack42
If you want luxury, get a Lexus. Mercedes are notorious for leaking/burning oil, not to mention that they're quality control is crap therefore they're products are crap. :

AuthorityPoison
I have the same problem on my 1995 C280 the oil leaked from the timing chain cover and the oil pan Cover both required new gaskets.

Bertrobinson7
Sounds like you need a gasket job, its normal on the inline 6 engines, and why would u pay lexus money for toyota DNA?

Carsperson