MODELS COMPRESSION

1982 Mercedes Benz Other

1982 Other Mercedes Benz Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

My car was running just fine until I stopped for a cup of coffee. When I returned to the car it wouldn't start and hasn't run since. The mechanic said it needed a new motor. I don't see how that could be when it was running fine. He said there was no compression at all. Recently I was talking to a man that said he was a diesel mechanic. He said it might be the timing gear or chain because quite often old diesels kick back when they stop turning and that can cause a worn chain to skip. My question is would this cause the engine to have no compression at all? Thanks to anyone who might help me. Doc
Doc Roach

Hi there,

it is easy to check the valve timing, but even if it missed a tooth, you will still have compressions. I would have the comps tested wet & dry, if there is no compression at all and the cam is not turning there will be a major issue with a broken crank shaft or a failed timing chain, you need to know exactly what has failed first.

Mhpautos