TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY

2003 Mercedes Benz C230

2003 Mercedes Benz C230 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 38000 miles

how do you remove the tail light assembly on a 2003 c230 kompressor coupe. I depress the center retaining clip but the top part of the assembly wont budge and feels like I need to release another mechansim. I just need to change the brake light bulb
Ding174

Im answering my own question to help future members.

My local independent mb svc center FRANK'S MERCEDES here in las vegas changes burnt out bulbs for free if you have your own bulb s or you can buy the bulbs from them for very reasonable prices.

Their technicians pointed out that the heat from the brake light bulb slightly melts the plastic around the reflector and causes this to stick and makes it difficult to pull the assembly out.

One just needs to take a small screw driver and gently scrape around the edge of the reflector to release the melted part and voila! Out comes the assembly

sadly MERCEDES has not addressed this issue since 1999 and will never address the issue and eventualy the whole frame assembly that holds the bulbs has to be replaced. What a crock ! If MB has come up with a solution please post it for all to see.

Ding174