FUEL PUMP

1994 Mercedes Benz C180

1994 Mercedes Benz C180 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 199200 miles

On several ocassions, the car stops moving as if fuel has finished. When a bit of fuel is added say 5L, its starts normally. I noted that it stops with fuel still in the tank, about 20-25L. I am suspecting fuel pump low pressure but will like to know if this is the cause. Whenever it stops, it cannot start until fuel is added. I have been experiencing this for the last 6 months. Before, the level of fuel left when it stops was about 10L but now it is gradually increasing and I am afraid it can stop even with a full tank.
Ekanje

Hi there,

I would be thinking that you may have a cracked fuel pick up pipe, this will cause the pump to draw air when the fuel level drops to the cracked portion of the pick up, I would have your dealer confirm this first.

Mhpautos
Please let me get you clearly, are you suggesting the pipe that leads from the tank to the pipe is having the problem and not the pump itself? Then how can we explain the fact that the reserve of fuel in the tank is increasing when the cars stalls? Is it that the crack in the pipe is increasing gradually? And if this is the cause, can you please advice for possible solutions? Thanks again for your prompt response

Ekanje
HI there,

I an trying to locate a view of the fuel pick up in the tank to confirm this diagnoses, but I am not having muck luck, I will keep on it, you may be able to contact your dealer and ask them if they feel this is the problem as well.

Mhpautos