THE CAR IS TURNING OFF ONCE IT WAR

1976 Mercedes Benz 450sl

1976 Mercedes Benz 450sl V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

I have this 1976 Mercedes-Benz 450sl. We bought it from some people who had it sitting under a tree for at least two years. We put a tune up on it and replaced the vacuum lines. We also put in a new fuel pump and filter. The problem is every time we start it it sounds good but once it warms up or we put it in reverse it turns off. It is also running a little rich as well. Can you give me an idea what this might be?
Normaj

Hello and thanks for donating

When it is first started, does it idle smooth and around 750 RPM? Is there any smoking coming from engine or exhaust when accelerating or idle? One more thing just to clarify, is this the diesel motor, fuel injected or carbureted?

Bluelightnin6
Yes the car runs smooth with first started. It doesn't start to surge until about 175 degrees operating temperature. Then it surges and turns off. It will start back up. Runs good until it warms up. We did a complete tune up and replaced the fuel pump too. The car is fuel injected gas.

Thank you for your help,

Norma

Normaj
It would seem as though this is fuel related. In the tune up, did you replace the fuel filter? Also test the fuel pump relay.

Bluelightnin6