TILT WHEEL

1993 Mercedes Benz 400sel

Steering problem
1993 Mercedes Benz 400sel V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Just bought this great old 400sel. The telescopic part of the steering wheel adjustment works just fine, however the tilt does not move up or down. The switch seems to be working as I can here a noise like the motor is coming on when it is press in either direction.
Are there 2 motors?
What do you think, motor?
Connection from motor to steering column?
And most important am I going to screw up something else if I try to get at it?
There doesn't seem to be a manual available anywhere for this car.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott400sel

Hi Scott – sounds like you got a nice MB to ride in. Yes, there are 2 motors. I have a circle on the motor (M20m1) responsible for the tilt adjustment and an arrow on the motor (M20m2) responsible for the tilt adjustment.

Well it is hard to say if the motor is bad or something broke off…..you will have to dig in there and see what’s going on.

I can’t promise you won’t mess something up………all mechanics mess things up at times…this is how we learn and I think we enjoy the fix most of all.

You may need special tools………..

I would first remove the covers to see the motor and inspect.

Once you take a look at it, if you want us to see what we have on removal, say of the steering wheel etc then let me know.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_80.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS