REMOVAL AND REPAIR OF IGNITION KEY

1992 Mercedes Benz 300te

Interior problem
1992 Mercedes Benz 300te 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

Earlier today I inserted the ignition key into the ignition lock on the dash, however the key would not turn in the lock and the key is difficult to remove from the lock. I have tried both keys that I have for the car with the same results. One key is rather worn, but the other is still like new. It appears that the lock cylinder is damaged, or worn out. I have removed the dash trim to expose the lock mechanism but do not see how to remove the assembly from the steering column, or the lock cylinder from the assembly, especially since I can't turn the cylinder with the key. Since I cannot turn the key, I cannot get the car out of Park to even move it out of the garage. My questions are:
1)What is the procedure to remove the lock cylinder? 2)Can the cylinder be removed without removing the whole assembly from the steering column? 3)With the cylinder removed, can a locksmith repair it or does it have to be serviced by Mercedes like the milled keys?
Milehigh

Hi Need to fashion a tool out of stiff wire see figure

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_430.jpg

Insert key turn to Position No. 1 see to holes in lock face should be at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock. Push in on tool to release detents while pulling on key and out it comes.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
I have the tool shown, but the key will not turn. It cannot be turned to any position, and the tool can not be inserted to release the lock cylinder.

Milehigh
MB does not provide instruction to remove and replace ignition assembly do to complexity of steering column adjustment system. So looks like a tow to dealer is needed. Ouch! That hurt to type that
Maybe a locksmith can remove?

Docfixit