REMOVE/REPLACE ALTERNATOR

1984 Mercedes Benz 300td

1984 Mercedes Benz 300td 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

The armature on the alternator is caput. I am replacing it w. A reman alternator. Problem: One of the bolts holding the alternator in place is also holding an belt tension adjuster underneath its head. How do I get the tensioner to let go so I can remove that bolt? I have loosened the tensioner so it is no longer in the adjuster nut, but there is no extra space to separate the threaded rod from the tensioner adjuster nut. Thank you very much for your assistance and advice.
Sincerely,
Tom
Diesellover

Hi
Was the bolt in center of tensioner pully loosened? So pully will move with threaded rod being turned?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
All bolts were loosened and the tensioner adjusting nut was unscrewed completely off the threaded rod. I put vice grips on the end of the tensioner adjusting nut and bent the holding assembly enough so that I could slide the adjuster nut out of the slot. Problem solved. Later replaced the alternator, positioned the adjusting rod and nut togther and reversed the process. Job done! I used a hammer and long flat blade screw driver to carefully reposition the restraining tabls to original position and final step. Last week I needed the car for Christmas trip - desparate and had to do something w/o a then response. Thanks for your response. But I did it last week in the only way I saw to get 'r done! Happy New Year!

Diesellover