AIRBAG DEPLOYED WITHOUT AN ACCIDEN

1987 Mercedes Benz 300sd

Other Category problem
1987 Mercedes Benz 300sd 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 209000 miles

The airbag in my car blew on Monday. Very scary, and now my kids don't ever want to get back in that car. Can I legally remove the airbag and sell the car with full disclosure, or am I required to fix the airbag. The cost of the repair is three thousand dollars and that is what I paid for the car, one month ago. : (
Or, any other ideas for fixing the car?
Stephaniev

Hi there,

If you sell the car, I don't think that there will be a problem as long as the new owner understands what is involved, as for the legal side, contact your local road worthy inspection office and see what they say, things can vary so much from state to state, country to country, (I'm in Australia) here you would not get a roadworthy certificate, but you could sell it on no problems. As for fixing it, as you said, it will cost about the same price of the car, I would be getting rid of it, as the air bag problem could be a very expensive problem to resolve.

Mhpautos