CAN IT BE FIXED EASILY OR SHOULD I

1979 Mercedes Benz 300sd

1979 Mercedes Benz 300sd Two Wheel Drive Automatic 355827 miles

A few days ago the front flex joint had a massive break down which caused the front part of the drive line to violently spin when it broke loose and in the process it caught the shifting arm and twisted it out of it's socket on the shifter, wrapping it around the tail shaft of the transmission. In the process it threw the transmission into park while going forward at 45 mph. As you can imagine, the transmission did not like this. I have since repaired everything and the transmission is fine in all gears with the exception that I no longer have park. It is just in neutral when you put it in park. I imagine it sheared off the pin or what ever put it in park. Is this something that can be replaced from underneath the car by removing any of the covers or perhaps the tail shaft or does the transmission have to be removed. If I have to take it out I could just as well put in a new one or a used one. Thanks for any input. Aloha
Mystyjade

It sounds like the parking sprag gear was broken. The transmission needs removed and taken apart. The park sprag it one of the last parts in the trans.