WONT START

1985 Mercedes Benz 300dt

1985 Mercedes Benz 300dt V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 285000 miles

I have (ignorantly) used engine starter fluid in my air intake to start my 1985 Mercedes 300td on several occassions. Now it won't start at all.
Having replaced both fuel filters and the air filter, my next task was to change the oil; I haven't the chance because now she wont start at all.

With a jump, she'll turn over (ran the battery down trying to start her) and sometimes fire.

Could this be a glow-plug problem? I really don't want to give up on her but my husband is ready to throw her overboard.

I notice fuel leaking (small, slow leak) and don't know if that could mean there's not enough fuel getting to the engine to get her to start. She's always been a bit challenging in this area, but with patience and agressive throttling, I've always been able to get her going.

Any suggestions on where to start? I have a Haynes Manual and use it. I note this only to allow for the possibility your response might be affected by this.

Thanks in advance for your help and keep up the great work!

Bests,
Brooke
Lbfox5863

First of all if you been using starting fluid to start it you have probably burned a glow plug or 2, the glow plugs are really easy to check you will need a test light, on the left fender behind the headlight there is a box or the plug-in you will see five conductors each one of those go to the glow pugs take your test light and put it on the ground post of your battery bank check every connection on the glow plugs, if the light does not come on the glow plug is burned out they are numbered one through five and your engine starts at first cylinder which is number one and goes back to number five. Now your fuel leak, check the small return hoses from injector to injector those may be leaking and causing the little puddle of fuel under the car you can also pressurize the fuel system by using the hand pump which is located right on the injection pump, it is a small knot that you turn out and then you can push it in and out like when you run out of fuel that will pressurized the system and you can check for fuel leeks. That should keep you busy for a little while anymore problems let me know.

Dr Loot
I had to write you again because I misled you on checking the glow pugs, I told you for the test light on the ground side of the battery that was a mistake, make sure you put the test light on the positive side of the battery, the light will come on if the glow plug is good

Dr Loot