ENGINE PROBLEM

1981 Mercedes Benz 200e

1981 Mercedes Benz 200e 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

Gray market car with carburetor. Engine idles OK, spark is fine as is vacuum. Compression on all four cylinder is 170. However, when revved, there is a lot of rattling noises as if the timing is not correct and the engine has not power. Tried to adjust the timing, but even with the distributor turned fully clockwise, the advance is not enough. Took the valve cover off to check the timing belt, and found a large piece of plastic broken off that looks like a part of a timing belt guide. Timing belt seems tight. Valves have the right clearance. Thought that maybe the broken guide had caused the timing belt to skip. However, everything seems to line up when the crankshaft is set at TDC, the mark on the cam shaft lined up with crankcase, and the distributor rotor points to the notch for cylinder 1. I am not sure what to check next to find out what is wrong.
Contactin

Check for misrouted plug wires, if a tune-up was done, a wire or two may have been crossed. I have no info on this timing chain/belt, too old! But if compression is OK and marks line up, then I doubt the belt slipped.

Merlin2021
Its no joke when you have engine problems with a Benz but its one of the easiest way to maintain the engine. If you have engine problems it good to check your mileage and note that if it exceeds your limits also check timing belt to make sure its well placed.
Website Designer

Rohty