B2600I

1992 Mazda Truck

We recently purchased a '92 Mazda B2600i 2.6 L 4cyl pickup with 120K miles. It idles great but after driving it for about 10 miles it loses power and you can only go about 40 mph. If you try to accelerate it spits and sputters and backfires. Yet if you pull over and put it in park, it idles fine again. The check engine light never comes on and if you let it cool down it will run fine again for about 10 mi. A friend told us that it might be the computer but we're not sure.
Bobswife

From the sound of it, it can be a few things. LEAST of all the computer. It's more likely a head gasket but it could also be an improperly installed spark plug. Anther thing is the carburetor, which is probably your best bet if it runs fine when it's cool. That usually means that your choke is having problems, in which case I'd say take it to a shop cause even the most experienced do-it-yourselfer will mess it up. Mazda has really touchy carburetors.

HellCat18
The B2600i has fuel injection, not a carburetor. Mine had the same problem as you describe " after driving it for about 10 miles it loses power and you can only go about 40 mph. If you try to accelerate it spits and sputters and backfires.&Quot; I found burn marks on my computer board. I removed the computer board (found behind a panel on the passenger side, by the passengers feet, just ahead of the door) and sent this board to a company in Florida that rebuilds them. Also, a short wire harness cable had to be replaced. This cable is located under the intake manifold and connects the main harness to the fuel injectors. Rebuild of the computer board plus a new harness cost me less than $400. I have tools and did the work myself. The truck has run fine since.

T_brock
I purchased a 92 b2600i 4x4. The guy I bought it from said the ecm was bad. Sent it to florida maybe the same people you used. My question is my ecm was under the drivers seat is there another computer you said yours was on the passenger side

Russ65034
I bought a mazda that had the exact same issues I took it to a mechanic and he had to replace the distributor coil pack and finally he looked at the comuter in the left panel it was completely burnt so he sent it to florida and were waitin so my advice is check your distributor

Mazda_man