CLUTCH

1985 Mazda RX7

1985 Mazda RX7 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 98000 miles

yesterday I was driving my rx7 and went to downshift, the clutch seemed weak, and then it wouldnt shift into any gear. The clutch doesnt seem to do anything when depressed, but will shift into gear when engine is off. Is there a clutch cable that could be broken maybe?
Codyflint

The clutch is operated by clutch master cyclinder on the firewall next to the brake master cyclinder. Check the fluid level. The is a clutch slave cyclinder on the transmission bellhouser on the driver's side. You need to have someone press the clutch pedal down while you are watching the slave cyclinder to see if the arm moves back and forth when you press the clutch down and release it. They should move back and forth. If it dosen't you need to replace the clutch master cyclinder and/or slave cyclinder on the transmission bell housing. If both the master and slave cyclinders are working properly it may be time to replace clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

Rich Crites
Great answer! : -)

2CarPros Ken