REAR BRAKE DRUM REMOVAL

2003 Mazda Protege

Brakes problem
2003 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 143000 miles

How do I remove the rear brake drum?
Fbmustang1969

There should be 2 - 8mm bolt holes on the front side of the brake drum, simply screw a couple of 1" bolts in the holes and press the drum off.

Rowtiear
Sounds easy enough, but those two screws in the side face of the drum didn't budge! Any suggestions?

Fbmustang1969
You might have to use an impact wrench with a Phillips bit to get those large screws out, the constant heating and cooling of the drums almost 'seals' them in. Be careful with a hand screwdriver or cordless drill/driver, you can strip them real easily.

After that, just hit the drum with a small sledgehammer firmly on each side a couple of times and drum should come off. I have found using the holes in the drum opposite the large screws don't work great as the force needed to get the drum off countering it with screwing something into it tends to strip the threads in those holes.

Darkshadow