TIMING BELT.

1997 Mazda Protege

I have a 1997 Mazda Protege LX, 4 cyl. 1.5L engine, about 151,000 miles. I am about to change the timing belt on it, and would like to know what all I need to get. I know I need the belt (of course), a water pump, and a tensioner and idler. Should I also get a camshaft seal or crankshaft seal or both? And what brands would you recommend, because I saw on DIY Auto that I could get a timing belt for under $30 dollars. Thanks a lot!
Auton00b

Well you will need a belt for one. Personally there are two things I don't cheap out on. Oil filter and timing belts. I would go to the dealer for the belt.

As for the tensioner. You will probably not need it or the idler. They are usually good, so I would hold off on buying that till you know if you need it.

You don't NEED a water pump to do the belt, but it is a good idea.

If you want to change the cam and crank seals. Go for it, but use MAZDA parts!

Oh and you will need a rocker cover gasket since you will need to remove the rocker cover.

I only stress using Mazda parts since the parts that you are changing. There is no need to cheap out on an engine part.

Cosmo. Mazda TEch

p.S. Don't stretch the spring!

Cosmo