STUCK ON TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

1997 Mazda Protege

1997 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

I have a 1997 Protege with the 1.5l engine, auto trans. The car has been jacked up now for ten days for a few reasons, but mainly because I've hit a dead end. I'm trying to remove the crank bolt, which I'm sure I'll be able to do with a large enough cheater and impact socket. But.I can't seem to get the pulley off of the crankshaft. I've removed the four small bolts that hold it in place.I think they do anyway, but the pulley won't budge. I don't want to start pounding on anything before I know how to remove it. Does this pulley require a puller, or is it maybe just rusted/stuck in place? I've done three other Mazda belts on similar engines and had zero problems.I guess I was overdue! Also, is it best to replace the idler/tension rollers and water pump? 96k miles on the car, and I'd like to do the least amount necessary at this point.
Soytnly

No special pulleys needed
this is the procedure to removing and replacing the timing belt
I would also do replace the water pump as you have every thing out

Removal
Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Remove right front wheel. Remove right side cover and undercover.
Remove drive belts and water pump pulley. Align crankshaft pulley timing mark with cylinder No. 1 at TDC of compression stroke. Hold crankshaft stationary. Remove crankshaft pulley bolts and pulley. Remove crankshaft pulley hub bolt and hub.
Remove spark plug wires. Remove valve cover bolts in reverse order of tightening sequence. See Fig. 1 . Remove valve cover. Remove dipstick tube.
Remove upper timing belt cover. Support engine with jack. Remove engine mount bracket from timing belt end of engine. If timing belt is to be reused, mark timing belt rotation direction. Ensure timing marks on camshaft and crankshaft sprockets are aligned. See Fig. 2 .
Remove lower and middle timing belt covers. Loosen timing belt tensioner lock bolt, and move tensioner away from belt with spring fully expanded. Remove timing belt.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_539.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_262.jpg

Position notch on crankshaft sprocket to 12 o'clock position (aligned with mark on oil pump). Align timing marks on camshaft sprocket and crankshaft. See Fig. 2 above . Ensure crankshaft timing mark is at TDC of compression stroke. Install belt around crankshaft sprocket. Working in a counterclockwise direction, route belt around pulleys and camshaft sprocket.
Loosen timing belt tensioner lock bolt, and allow spring to apply tension on belt. Snug tensioner lock bolt. Rotate crankshaft 2 complete turns in direction of normal engine rotation. Ensure timing marks align.
Letter "Z" on camshaft pulley and pin on crankshaft pulley boss should face upward. If timing marks are not aligned, remove belt, realign all timing marks, and repeat installation procedure.
Check timing belt deflection with 22 lbs. (10 kg) of pressure applied to belt. See Fig. 3 below. Ensure timing belt deflection is .28-.35" (7.0-9.0 mm).
Ensure grooves on valve cover are free of oil, water, and dirt. Using new valve cover gasket, install valve cover. Tighten valve cover bolts in sequence. See Fig. 1 above. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic3_118.jpg

BMRFIXIT
Thanks for the great response. The one area that I'm still a little confused over is, do I need to remove the main crankshaft bolt before removing the pulley, i.E. Is that bolt holding the pulley on? That's where I'm stuck, as I have the four pulley bolts off but can't get the pulley to budge, and can't restrain the crankshaft until I get the pulley off. It's a catch-22.

Soytnly
I have always removed center bolt
it can be very difficult to remove with out an impact tool

and after removing the pulley reinstall the center bolt and hand tighten, it will give you a better grip if need to hold crank shaft or turn before removing the belt

BMRFIXIT
Ok thanks. I'll have to find another way to stop the engine from rotating. The book indicated a port that I could access the flexplate but for the life of me I can't find it on this car. Ugggh. I'm ready to button this thing up and just sell it, not sure what to do. My impact has no effect on the crank bolt and just rotates the engine.

Soytnly
Place an old socket on top of the bolt and give it couple of good hits with a hammer

BMRFIXIT
I was able to pull the pulley off without removing the crank bolt, which is great. I just used a small pulley puller and off it came. Now I can fit a board to the pulley bolt holes to keep the engine from rotating, and get out that 6' breaker!

Soytnly
Happy to help

will be here if have any Questions

thank you

BMRFIXIT