MY VAN OVERHEATS

1996 Mazda MPV

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Mazda MPV Two Wheel Drive Automatic 86,000 miles

one day was driving hose from the radiator came aloose. Got a mechanic to put it back on. Water a coolant sprayed all over engine. I put more water and coolant in. But now my engine overheats in idle or driving. The mechanic says my radiator is cracked but nothing is leaking. I also now hear this ticking noise. Any ideas?
Radiahhhicks

If you hear a little ticking noise in the front middle of the engine it is the water pump going out.
And the Mechanic knows this! He's trying to up your charges!
Double check while engine is on a flat surface and look for any droplets coming from the front middle of the water pump behind the pulley.
Easy way, run engine for 5 minutes Shut off place rag between hand and radiator Caution is hot! Check where the water pump is on your engine and see if you can feel the presence of water/moisture If yes, water Pump needs replacement. Also Ask this mechanic to do a Pressure test in front of you of the Cooling system, If the radiator is broken or leaking it will happen in front of you. *He will install a cap to your radiator top attached to a hand Pump and a PSI gauge, As he pumps the pressure up if there is any leaks in the system you will see it now or hear it now.* If not its the water pump.

Nightrider1962