TIMING BELT

2001 Mazda Millenia

2001 Mazda Millenia 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

I've heard with some cars, if the timing belt busts, there is little to no damage to the engine because of the way it was designed. I've also heard that with some cars. The belt breaks and the engine completely shells out. Can you tell me what my engine is designed for? I ask because, the mechanics around me are asking $800 for timing belt/water pump/idler/tensioner replacement. My warranty covers all of those if the belt breaks and only $100 deductible. I'm trying to see if I should continue running the car until the belt breaks and then pay the $100 or. If the engine is going to be ruined and cost me thousands to repair, I'll replace the belt now for $800.
Spencedogg17

If the engine is what is called a interference engine then waiting till belt brake is NOT a good idea.

If the service recommendation is to have the belt and all changed I would do it.

It would be better to do now then to be stranded somewhere once it does either brake or jump timing do to stretch.

Obxautomedic