SHIFT GEAR LOCK CAUSE OF CAR NOT STARTING?

Mazda 626

I have a 1996 Mazda 626 LX with V6 engine and automatic transmission with 69,000 original miles that I put on it. I have taken excellent care of this car - oil changes every 3,000 miles, transmision flushed, etc. For several months, I have been having problems starting the car. No codes showed up at my mechanic's shop. I also know to check to be sure that car is securely in Park. I remembered reading about the gear shift lock when I first purchased the car. Pulled out the manual, tried with one key, no go. Put extra key in shift lock as I turned ignition key, and voila, it started. This has worked on the second try(first try just regular starter) until yesterday. I went through same routine with shift lock, but it would not start. After about four tries and a few prayers, it started. Is this truly the problem, or just a fluke that it has worked? If it is the problem, what is a long term fix? I'm a little ole lady from Pasedena(actually, Visalia) on a very limited income! Cannot afford another car. Besides, I love this one! I am very concerned about getting stranded on a desolate road or actually anywhere. I think twice before turning off the ignition. : -( Thank you for any help you can give me. I made a small donation. : -)
Patsy9660

Sounds more like it could be the Neutral Safety Switch. Try holding the brake and starting it in Neautral instead of park and see if it works. Might even just need a little adjustment

Jack42