97 LX KEEPS ON OVERHEAETING!! HELP!

1997 Mazda 626

I have a 97 mazda 626 lx and it has recently started overheating when I am in traffic or at a stop. When I am driving above 65mph on the freeway the needle retuns to the normal middle postion. However, when I am in traffic or driving up hills the needle reaches HOT! What could be the problem? And advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
97Mazda626

The first thing I would check is if your cooling fans are coming on when its overheating. One of the easiest ways to check it is to either: 1. Start you car with the hood open and turn on your a/c. If your a/c works. Both cooling fans should come on. Check to see if both fans come on. If one or both don't come one you have and issue. 2. With your car off and the hood open, physically check the fans to see if they turn. One of them might be seized. In either case I would get it to a dealer or shop.

Cosmo. Your friendly Mazda Tech

Cosmo
Thanks cosmo! I already made sure that the fans were working properly and they are! It was hot today and when I was on the freeway I tuned the a/c on and the needle went back to normal when it was overheating! Any other suggestions?

97Mazda626
So both fans are working even when it is overheatings? This is very important to check. Make sure both fans are coming on when it is overheating. IF only one of them is one, check to see if that fan shuts off when you switch the a/c to the off posistion. YOur a/c fan might be working but not the engine fan.

ALSO have you had your thermostat checked to see if it is working. It might be having problems all the way when the engine is hot.

Get it to a dealer and get it checked out

Cosmo. Friendly Mazda tech

Cosmo