4 CYLINDER WATER PUMP

1962 Mazda 626

My girlfriend has a 1996 Mazda 626, with 130,000 miles on it, it has the 4 cylinder engine. The water pump has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I've only owned large american vehicles where the water pump is a matter of a few bolts and serpentine belt, but I've read all over online to see if I can find directions on how to do it, and all I've found is how to do it on a V-6. It mentioned having to take off the timing belt and such, will I have to do that for the 4 cylinder? Let me know if you can help me. If I have to do the timing belt we'll have a shop fix it instead.
Mdbarnes

Yes you will need to remove the timing belt in order to replace the water pump, as well you will need to remove the power steering pump, or at least get it out of the way.

Cosmo

Cosmo
Thanks for your help, my family, including myself, only owns large american cars. There are usually more repairs with American cars, but a lot easier to do. Thanks again for your help, looks like a shop will be taking care of this one.

Mdbarnes