CLACKING SOUNDS AFTER SUSPENSION REPAIR

1996 Mazda 626

Suspension problem
1996 Mazda 626 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Hi

Today I had my Mazda's front shock absorbers changed (put in new ones - Monroe - because the old shock on the left side was no good), and the mechanic also put in new stabilizer links on both sides (at least I think that's what they're called - they are about 5 inches long with some kind of joint on both ends). The mechanic is specialized in shock absorbers and has been in business for a long time.

Anyway, after all this was done, the suspension worked great, but now, when braking lightly, especially at low speeds (say around 40 mph), there is a rapid clacking sound - clack-clack-clack in the area of the left front wheel. This does not happen during stronger braking.

Also, there is sometimes a squealing sound coming from the front wheel area - not sure which side, but probably both. This is during normal driving, not during braking. Again, this does not happen always. At higher velocities it tends to disappear.

(By the way, the brake callipers and pads are ok, according to a mechanic. Also those plastic bellow-like things that connect to the side rods are ok.)

- So what could the clacking sound at the left front wheel while braking be due to?

- Also, the squealing sound from the front wheels while driving, what's going on there? (These seem to be two separate problems.)

(Remember, all this started happening right after they put in new shock absorbers and stabilizer links.)

Thanks very much!
Feliciano

Calipers sometimes need to be removed during strut insallation, it's possible a piece of the caliper hardware became dislodged, or damaded, recheck calipers and pads and shims. Or the mounting bolts may be loose!

Merlin2021
Thanks very much for your reply - I assume it was about the clacking sound.

But what about the squealing sounds I mentioned in my original question - the car squeals from the front wheel area, probably on both sides, during normal driving (low velocities, when the brakes AREN'T being used).

This squealing also started after the strut replacement.

What could it be due to?

Feliciano
All new sounds are related if any parts were bent or damaged, or if the mounting bolts arent tight enough!

Merlin2021