GOOD ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY BUT CAR DIES ( 91

1991 Mazda 323

I have a 91 mazda 323 ( 223,000km) with new battery and a working alternator but jus recently its not starting so when I giver her a boost she runs fine the I turn her off and it wont start but sometimes it will. Then this evening driving home the charge light was flashin and lights were goin all dim, wipers slowing down etc. It seems its getting no power, just wondering if I could get any advice what it might be? I would really appreciate it? Thanks guys!
Bennis

Do this get a voltmeter read the battery before you start the Maz it should read above 12.4 volts and over - record reading. Now start it up and turn headlights On and heater to high. Your reading should be between 13.5-15.5 volts- If not the alternator is not putting out.

Also the battery might not be taking the charge, or the electrical system has a short creating an excessive current draw.

Thanks a lot man this is great help. What do u mean by the battery may not be taking a charge or the electrical system has a short and how do I solve that problem. Is it hard to fix or roughly how much u think it would cost. Thanks a lot bro appreciate it !

Bennis
If your battery can hold 9.6 volts and higher while cranking the engine over while the ignition system is disable for 10 secs, the battery is okay.

If there's a SHORT in the electrical system it will have over 0.30 milliamps which is the normal draw for devices that has memory.

Costs labor time to check charging system and to remove and replace alternator is 1 1/2hr. Alternator $195.00. Total roughly at $250.00