BATTERY, TOWNCAR, 65,000 ORIGINAL MILWS

1989 Lincoln Town Car

My battery ran down. I put a new battery in and it also ran down so I put a new alternator (OEM) in and the trouble stopped. Cranks strong and everything works fine. The problem is that when I popped the hood and looked at the battery when I got home from an hour drive, acid was comning out of the vent cap on top. Something is definately wrong for this to happen. Help please!
Kennyusa

Sounds like your new altenator is overcharging the battery. I would have the output voltage of the altenator checked. You new altenator should come with a warrenty, so it shouldnt be too bad on the wallet.

Mikeybdman
Guess I'll have to take it in to have it checked out tomorrow at the dealer. Thanks

Kennyusa
Update.
I just measured the voltage of the battery with key off and it is 12.7. Then with engine running 14.5.

Then I tested 3 of my other vehicles and I got real close results.

Any other suggestions?

Kennyusa
Update.

Any other suggestions?[/Quote: 52821c61c3]

14.5 does not sound that high from an altenator. Does it increase with RPM's?
I would suspect it may increase voltage while you are running faster than idle. I would check that. Another option is they could have overserviced the battery, however that is very unlikely.
When the battery is being overcharged, usually there is a very stong sour egg smell. If your tests results show the altenator is not over charging, then you may have a bad battery. Either way, the warrenty's on both should easy the pocket book.
Good luck.

Mikeybdman
Update.

Any other suggestions?[/Quote: 0bee7596f8]

Good luck.[/Quote: 0bee7596f8]

Thanks,
called the battery manufacturer and they said it was probably a little over full and that it ran out and leveled off and I opened the caps on top and it was at a normal level now and it didnt overflow after I drove for 2 hrs today. And also the alternator keeps the same voltage at higher rpms. Thats what the voltage regulator is for right?So I'm guessing its not the alternator nor a bad battery since it hasn't overflowed again : )

Kennyusa
Sounds like you had already fixed it, and it will probably work fine for years. Make sure you clean the area where the overflow occured. Use baconsoda and water to neutralize the acid that spilt. Dont need it to eat holes in your frame or cause corrosion problems for later.

Mikeybdman
Thanks, I flushed the area with a lot of water.

Kennyusa