INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE STUCK OUT

2004 Lincoln Town Car

Interior problem
2004 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I accidentally used the latch handle instead of the door pull to close the driver door. Once shut I noticed the latch stuck out and did not spring shut. I could not push it back in place. Nothing seemed broken and I could not see any dislodged springs. To open the door from the inside, I must now press "unlock", bring down the window, lift the exterior latch and

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/478125_lock_1.jpg

remember to close the window. Is there any way to fix this easily?
Rlrandallx

This exact thing just happened to my 2004 town car so I called the dealer and they told me I have to buy an entire door panel for over $1000! What did you end up doing to yours?

Schpeen

Schpeen
I bought a used 2004 Lincoln Town car and paid $2000 for a mechanical and electrical warranty. After a month or two, the driver door handle got stuck out this way with normal use - not using it to pull the door shut. Took it to the dealer who said the part would be 950 and the labor 150 for $1100. The warranty I bought doesn't cover it because it is a " trim" part. They informed me that a small crack on the passenger side meant the same thing was probably happening there, and sure enough, a passenger shortly pulled that side out when opening the door. So here's a potential bill for $2200.
THERE IS A RECALL on a similar problem for the Navigator but not yet for the Lincoln. I had someone rig mine temporarily. The problem is the spring is too loose, or becomes too lose, and then the door handle mechanism gets out of the socket it resides in and can't be put back without taking off the entire door panel. If it's put back in, it just pulls back out. I CALLED LINCOLN and they wouldn't offer anything. I told them it was ridiculous for me to pay $2200 over a door handle, ESPECIALLY since I have no guarantee that the new part will be any better than the original. Can you imagine how horrible it would be to put in $1100 per side for a plastic handle just to have it all break again? I really can't believe this. And I can't believe that Ford is offering nothing. Does anyone want to join in to pressure them with me? Robert Pinion, Tampa, FL

Robpinion