CAN'T TURN OFF CAR WITH KEY.

1995 Lincoln Town Car

1995 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I have a 95 Lincoln Town Car. 4.6 V8. 180, 00 miles. I went to start it recently and heard a snap like something broke when I turned the key. I can still start the car using the key, but when I do start it, the key doesn't pop back to the on position like normally anymore, and I can't kill the engine using the key anymore. It feels loose when turning the key from " on" to " acc". But it still locks in the off position. And now no matter what position the key is in or if the key's in the ignition at all, it always thinks the key is turned on. I tried replacing the lock cylinder and the ignition switch, but those didn't help. Could there be a metal tab or spring that broke somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.
Jaymz12

The ignition switch that you tried was it down on the steering collum like above the pedals?

Docfixit
Yes, it's behind the panels below the steering wheel. Here's a picture of it from the Napa website. The hole that the pin fits into moves back and forth easily. I don't know if that's normal or not. Thanks again.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/235026_Switch_1.jpg

Jaymz12
O.K. Now we got it. The rod that attaches to pin should only be able to move when key/tumbler is turned. There is a spring in switch that returns key from start to run. Can you move the pin and release it does it move back?
Operate the key while observing the switch does the rod move the pin?
When you install the switch key is off adj. Switch to off then turn key to start it should move far enough to depress spring and engage start then retun to run. If you can move rod then it must be disconnected from the tumbler. Remove and on the end you wiil see the lug that fits into the housing see if it is broken or rod is off. Some thing is wrong with switch or that rod.
Let me know

Docfixit
OK, hopefully this is it. Right behind the lock cylinder I can see this plastic square shaped rod that moves back and forth when the key is turned. The left part of that plastic piece is broken off. The ignition switch works. I can manually put the switch to the off position and turn it on using the key, but it won't move backward. Could that plastic piece be it. If so is it replaceable. Or does the steering column need to be replaced. Thanks again. (Hope this picture helps, it's the part with the yellow on it)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/235026_Lock_1.jpg

Jaymz12
O.K. That plastic piece is it it will push rod forward but not retract so car stays on. Dealer item and am not sure but I think you have to buy the collar that houses tumbler steering lock. Just got in from work give me till mid AM and I'll post what I find out.

Docfixit