MARK VLLL WILL CRANK BUT NOT START

Lincoln Mark VIII

I have a 1997 Lincoln Mark Vlll, lsc. It has 112k miles, 4.6L V8

I have had a problem off an for the past 9 months. It will crank and not start, so it has been towed to the repair shop 5 times. 1st time it started when mechanic started it up and would not repeat problem so could not diagnosis it. 2nd time, they replaced " crank shaft sensor.&Quot; 3rd time, again started up after being towed there, they did nothing. 4th time, they replaced spark plug boots on #4 and #5 cylinders. The computer test diagnosis dtcs PO355 ignition E coil pri/sec circuit fault. 5th time towed last week, started again and supposedly could not repair without having the problem there. Today, 10/19 again it will crank, but no start.

Why is this happening off and on and once it gets to the shop it starts. Is there a way to diagnosis the problem while it is working.

Any idea what might be causing this off and on problem and what should be repaired.

Thanks so much for any help.
Shaegun

Yes check for bright blue sparks at the spark plugs. And fuel at the fuel rail if your getting both then id check the starter relay or ignition switch.

Blackop555
I have a 96 Mark VIII with the same issue. I have plenty of fuel pressure. I've changed the mass airflow, removed and cleaned the throttle body, replaced the IAC. The check engine light is now on and the code is a system too lean bank 2. I can't find any vacuum leaks. I've spoken to a dealership mechanic and he said it was the hydraulic tensioner on the timing chain losing pressure, throwing out the cam timing. When the pressure builds back up the engine would run like nothing happened. Before I tear into the motor, could this be possible?

Frankyiroc
Yes, its possible but the code that is thrown is for the o2 sensor in bank 2 reading lean, more then likely it is a bad o2 sensor.

Blackop555
I have also noticed minor spark knock under light acceleration.

Frankyiroc
This same exact thing is happening to my 1997 Lincoln right now. It wouldn't start. After sitting a few days it turned over, ran rough at first, and now runs perfect. I am expecting it to happen again.

DJohnston