STEERING

Lincoln Continental

I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental 60,000 miles. The owner put brake fluid in the power steering system. I have changed the rack and pinion power steering hoses, power steering pump and the power steering reservoir. Now there seems to be a pressure problem. When the car idles by itself there is no sign of trouble. As soon as pressure is put on the steering wheel, the pressure pulls the steering wheel to the left. When it reaches a full left hand turn and you try to pull it back to the right, it blows a seal on what seems to be the pressure regulator. After the seal is blown, then it steers fine both ways. Please help. : : (
BMcIntosh

It sounds like you may have a pressure relief valve stuck inside the power steering pump causing excessive pressure and the seals to blow, next is you could have a rack and pinion that has a bad sector valve. I would try the rack first.

2CarPros Ken
I did replace the rack and pinion. Is the sector valve a valve that bolts on the rack and pinion with two electric plugs. Thanks for your help. : Oops:

BMcIntosh
Yes it is, it sounds like you have a pump that is not regulating pressure correctly.

2CarPros Ken