LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS TURN OFF WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED

2000 Toyota Camry • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 200,000 miles

When the brakes are not pressed, all lights seem to work properly. When the brakes are pressed, all lights seem to continue to work properly, but the license plate lights turn off. Ease off on the brakes and the license plate lights work again.
Delnlarry

Have you tried making sure you have the correct brake bulbs in the brake sockets?

Yes, I did that. In fact, I bought new brake light bulbs just in case one or both was defective. No change in the problem. They are definitely the correct bulbs.

Delnlarry
Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

Got the problem fixed. Turned out to be a broken wire in the wiring harness in the trunk area. Thanks.

Delnlarry
Was it on the passenger side behind trunk hinge?

I think so. A friend found it and fixed it for me, so I'm not exactly sure. But is was in a bend in the wiring harness. In fact, the other wires in the grouping were all pinched, so he spliced in some extra wiring on all the wires to make them longer and, hence, less likely to pinch.

Delnlarry
I have seen some of the lexuses do that but the brake light was just inop.

Now that you mention it, I think he said there also was a problem with the brake lights going dim or out when the brake was pressed, although I did not notice that when I was trying to figure out the problem.

Delnlarry
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Me, too. Now I can get it past safety inspection. Thanks.

Delnlarry