DOOR BEEPING AND DOME LIGHT ON - IGNITION

1996 Lexus SC 300

1996 Lexus SC 300 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Normally after driving the car, I take out the key from the ignition switch, open the door and then get out. However, if I open the door while leaving the key still in the ignition switch, the car beeps. This annoying beep is a reminder that the key is still in the ignition. What’s happening lately and frequently is, when I take the key out and open the door, the car thinks the key is still in the ignition so it beeps and continues to beep, not only does it continue to beep but it also leaves the dome light is on.

After 30mins of trying to disconnect the beeping sound, I failed to find it because it’s hidden underneath the dash. I ended up disconnecting the battery so that the continuous beeping wouldn’t drain it. In the morning, I connected the battery and the car was back to normal. In troubleshooting this problem, I find that when you’re taking out the key, if you slightly wiggle the key at the very last minute before pulling the key out of the ignition switch, if you wiggle it just right, you can hear the beeping sound goes off/on. Although this problem is intermittent but when the beeping sounds comes on and you can’t wiggle the sound off, the only solution is to disconnect the battery so that it doesn’t drain it. My question is, is the ignition switch going bad or is this causing by a door sensor? Or is it something else?

Thanks much in advance.
Phoenix5ire

I have the same problem with my 1996 Lexus SC 300 with 126,000 miles. I don't have a solution yet.

Aangrick